New Pizza Recipe/Video - get ready (to Flop)

Some weeknight, I'm going to make a 12" pizza with nice bubbles and a beautiful airy crust. If you want to follow along, put 2 cups flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 t dry yeast (any kind) and 1 t salt (regular or 1.5 t kosher) in a container, mix into a ball, don't bother kneading and toss in the fridge until about Tuesday night. It's gonna be awesome.

I filmed the entire thing and the final pizza was too moist inside. The slack dough was simply too wet. Even cooking in an amply preheated 550-deg-F oven, it was still under done in the middle despite the nice bubbles on top.

I'm posting the vid because the method will be identical and I'll simply replace the dough recipe. Sorry for wasting your flour all. Agony of defeat hurts. If you feel like losing 8 minutes of your life you will never, ever get back, here it is.


Unknown said...

OK, I couldn't do it until tonight, but I'm ready!

Dave said...

Hey Mike. Feel free to leave it out a night too. This should be a pretty robust dough. I think I'm going to cook mine Tuesday night and I'm trying to get the kid in on the filming. Should be posted by Tuesday night. It'll be a sloppy vid as usual.

rayb said...

Blame it on this lousy Ohio weather.

I've been using the same basic recipe (found it at http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/) with great results.

Dave said...

Hey Ray,
That's why I had the hat on.

I think the problem was not letting the dough develop at room temp before placing it in the fridge. I do a focaccia with a high hydration dough and there's no problems.

Thanks for the link, can't wait to visit it later.

mac said...

Great video. Doesn't look like a flop to me. You ate it right? As for the pursuit of the perfect pie other factors to consider are stone wasn't hot enough or the toppings were too heavy for the crust. My electric oven only heats to 500 so I preheat for at least an hour with the stone on the top rack then drop it to the bottom rack for cooking. The recipe you give, looks good, I use about an ounce less of water in my formula. I agree letting the yeast work for an hour or so before chilling would help. But seriously, good job with the video, it's fun.

Andrew said...

I agree with everybody else, Dave-your failures looks pretty good from where I'm sitting. I think Peter Rienhardt, in American Pie, who is a big proponent of delayed ferementation dough, suggests an inital 1/2 hour rise before popping it in the fridge. I actually made some dough the other day (in the KA), where I refridgerated it overnight, and then it rise in the cool basement. Turned out good, but given your standards, I might have to reconsider it a flop!

Dave said...

Hey Andrew, Mac,

Thanks for all who took the half day or so to watch. Turns out it was worth it just for the feedback. Don't know what I was thinking when I used that little yeast and tossed it in the fridge immediately. That part's clear. I'll have to repeat it at the same hydration and do the rise about several hours or so at room temp and then stash it in the fridge.

And, Mac, I'm picky, but not nearly as neurotic as I used to be, we ate it happily. I think I only posted the vid because Frankie was a riot. She needed to see her part in the film.

Thanks again all for the input! It's what makes these efforts progress.

Unknown said...

Oh no! After Tuesday, my week went crazy and in fact, the dough is still in the fridge!

BTW, I love the post-in not on your pan/title card!

Just how "slow" can slow rise be? Meaning is the dough I have in the fridge still be used, or is it past prime?

Dave said...

Mike, great question. With a small bit of yeast and all that flour, I think there's a huge window of opportunity after the initial rise, which, may not have happened yet. I'd take it out overnight and see if it gets up to a full rise - or at least looks nice and puffy even if the volume isn't quite that high.

Thinking back, mine was clearly under-rise and, more importantly, under-developed with regard to gluten and apparent strength of the dough. I could kind of see it as I laid it on the parchment.

So, anything's fair game. I'd probably let it rise 12-24 hours, punch down and put it back in the fridge until ready. Or, you could use it like a biga/poolish, etc. and add flour and water to it for a regular dough.

Thanks. I made the postit while in work dreaming of pizza night. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Well I have had this dough sitting around for a week, and decided, "ah, what the hell!" and went about using it.

I had hard time making it any bigger than 8 inches and when it baked on the grill, it puffed up like nobody's business. But the results were great. Slightly undercooked in the middle, but a taste unlike anything I have had before.

Thanks for enticing me in the first place!